Evolving Volvo

After packing up my life & moving half way across the world, I found myself in a little city on the west coast of Sweden called Gothenburg, working on-site at Volvo Cars. I was the sole designer on a team called the Car Info team. Volvo have had success in the past using product teams focused around digital products & I was to join the newest team – The Car Info team.

Client

Volvo + AKQA

Role

Product Design

Year

2018

The Car Info team had two streams of work running in parallel. One part of the team were rebuilding the front and back end architecture of the Volvo international site to migrate away from the current CMS, which was constraining us form innovating in many areas of the digital experience. The second stream of work, which I was involved in, were more focused on honing in on user insights and improving our customers experience on the product detail page. We took a scientific approach and used experimentation as a method for iterating on our products. By experimenting, it freed up our thinking to allow for more innovative or risky ideas on a small scale in a safe space. We used controlled a/b testing + multi-variant testing. Each experiment we would use a template to record our thinking and approach so that our work was documented and measurable.

We categories our experiments as either regular or mini size. We differentiate in Principal and MINI experiments and established a process how to execute them. A regular experiment requires all disciplines. A mini experiment is generally achievable using Google Optimise and only involves design, data & the product owner. Below are some visuals of some experiments we had prepared.